The Mendez National Institute of Transplantation Foundation (MNITF) supports scientists at various stages in their careers, and anyone who is actively involved in research is eligible to apply for a MNITF grant. From junior faculty members who are establishing an independent research program, to pre-doctoral students on research training grants, to established investigators who run large research centers or are transitioning to a new phase of research; all are encouraged to apply.
In general, domestic or foreign, public or private, and non-profit or for-profit organizations are eligible to receive MNITF grants; however, MNITF may limit eligibility for certain types of programs, such as limitations on the participation of foreign entities or programs where only small businesses are eligible applicants.
The MNITF considers supporting research in the following areas:
- Creating a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary program of research that advances scientific knowledge which will improve clinical outcomes in transplantation;
- Integrating the field of transplantation with the latest donor screening technologies, immunogenetics, post-transplant monitoring, and advancements in regenerative medicine;
- Making unique contributions to biology and medicine by developing new diagnostic and therapeutic paradigms;
- Empowering patients with end-stage organ disease and transplant recipients through education to proactively manage their health and improve their long-term outcomes.
Eligibility criteria includes:
- Principal Investigator is actively involved in research.
- Organization is established.
- Research falls within the priority areas listed above.
- Research is aimed to improve clinical outcomes and/or positively impact the field of organ transplantation.
Grants are awarded twice a year. The grant proposal deadlines are July 31st and December 15th. However, potential applicants must first submit an initial letter of inquiry (LOI) form online by June 15th (for the July 31st proposal deadline) or November 1st (for the December 15th proposal deadline). Please review and download the PDF’s in the Grant Application section for further guidance and instructions on the application process.